[Samba] Samba and Windows 2000 server ---the fight begins---

eric eric at hopevale.com
Fri Dec 10 16:26:09 GMT 2004

Greetings,

I am trying to demote a windows 2000 server and then have it join the
same domain it belongs to currently, but I want my Samba server to
become the PDC
 ...? is this easily done ?....
  I don't mind losing domain users on the 2000 server which I am
assuming will happen once I demote it.

My windows 2000 server acts as a DNS for our intranet.
Because of the windows 2000 server's well equiped hardware I am going to
continue to use it as DNS and utilize it as a network backup ....I will
create a mapped drive from the Samba server and backup all folders and
files.   I have thought about creating an NFS mount for the Samba home
directory and backing it up to the windows 2000 server that way, but I
am not sure.  Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance,
Eric