[Samba] Re: XP bug -- client spooler loop (MS KB 329234)

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Wed Dec 1 08:17:40 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 22:08, Thomas Bork wrote:
> Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:
> > Thanks to Martin and Walter for pointing out that this
> > is an old XP bug.
> > Here's the link:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329234
>
> this bug is fixed in XP SP2 and not the same as in "slow printing from
> xp sp2 clients".
The bug, we're talking about, has nothing to do with manipulating several
network printers at the same time (as mentioned in the bug report).
But I made several network traces and could see, that the client DOES enter a
loop of GetPrinterData remote procedure calls and spoolsv.exe has a very high
load. That's according to the description (see: CAUSE).
(In fact it's OpenPrinter, GetPrinter [Level 5], All PrinterData,
ClosePrinter, ...)

> > Unless someone can provide more information to show that
> > this is not the bug you are seeing with "slow printing from
> > xp sp2 clients", I'm marking this one off my list.
> > Some old bugs never die I guess.
>
> But I have some informations from our users, that samba 3.0.9 fixed the
> slow printing from xp sp2 clients :)
I cannot verify this. The bug still occours on my system with samba 3.0.9 and
also with a Windows 2003 server as print server (Spooler).
The users need to change their local printer settings to reproduce this bug.
Until they do this, everything is fine.
If you could find a situation where these observations are not true, please
tell us.
I'm not happy with this, too. It's hard, making customers believe, that it is
an M$ bug, but I didn't find anything in this case, that works on M$ and not
on Samba.

Bye,

Martin

P.S. To Rohan's mail: