[Samba] Domain Unavailable, XP and Samba 3.0.8

Matthew Easton info at sublunar.com
Wed Dec 1 07:42:59 GMT 2004

400MHz Dell Poweredge server with Debian and Samba 3.0.8  from the .deb files
at samba.org.

40 WinXP Acer workstations connected via ethernet are joined to the domain and
working fine.  Profiles are local.

However, new P4 Toshiba laptops(XP Service Pack 2, 256MB RAM) are unable to
cache credentials.  That means laptops can join the domain when connected via
ethernet, and domain users are able to log in, but disconnected operation is
impossible. The laptop reports "domain is unavailable" and refuses to let the
user past the password prompt. Not convenient when they take the laptops
home.

User's best option is to log on to the laptop with a local user account and
mount shares from a script. But I would rather they join the domain.

The laptop security policy is set to cache 10 credentials by default. My aged
Windows 2000 laptop can handle this situation just fine.  It caches
credentials and user can log on in disconnected mode, provided at least one
connected domain login has occurred ever.   Windows 2000 laptop can even
login successfully over the wireless access point-- another thing the poor XP
laptops are unable to accomplish.

I've tried everything I can think of -- is there a registry hack or
configuration trick which will make WinXP honor the cached credentials?

Thank you.