[Samba] using samba through a VPN

Andrew Gaffney agaffney at gentoo.org
Wed Dec 1 08:29:39 GMT 2004

I already have an existing network that is managed by a samba PDC. In the next
few days, I will be linking another small LAN to the existing one over the
internet using openvpn. I've been told that samba (through no fault of its own)
doesn't work very well through a VPN.

For the new network, there will be a box with 2 NICs: one for the internet and
one for the LAN. This box will use openvpn and iptables to allow the entire LAN
direct access to the PDC (which provides other services also) through the VPN
tunnel.

I want the workstations in the new network to be able to logon to the domain and
access the file shares hosted by the samba PDC in the first network. Will I be
able to do this? Easily? :)

--
Andrew Gaffney
Gentoo Linux Developer