[Samba] Point 'n' Print, issues after upgrade to 3.0.6

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Thu Aug 26 15:16:10 GMT 2004

I've upgraded successfully to 3.0.6 finally.  As part of that upgrade, I
configured the print$ share and installed the printer drivers into it.  I've
been using the Laserjet 4 Plus driver with great success.  However, when I
configured the printer to use this driver stored on the server, everything
printed fine except for Excel documents!  Excel gives the error in "print
preview" that the margin size does not fit on the page.  Only for Excel!

So I installed the 4300 PS driver onto the server.  It works for all programs.
However, it's dog slow!  It prints a page, waits, prints a page, waits.
Takes over twice as long to print.

Needless to say, my users don't like it.  Can anyone give me ideas about why
the 4P driver is not working with Excel?  Anyone with similar experiences?
I'm not sure whether to blame it on the upgrade, the fact that the drivers
are now stored on the server, or some other factor.

Oh yeah, another strange problem.  The Windows print job monitor thing that
comes up when you double-click a printer, no longer automatically refreshes
now that I have the drivers on the server.  This one isn't terribly
important, but just odd.  You have to manually refresh it.

Thanks in advance,
Misty