FIXED Re: [Samba] Point 'n' Print, issues

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Fri Aug 27 20:56:49 GMT 2004

Once again, I have fixed my own problem.  Here is a word of advice for those
who want to use the APW from a Windows machine to install printers to your
server.

Use the newest version of Windows that will be used on your network, to add
the drivers.  It seems very obvious now, but I had no idea that the NT
drivers would not work with XP.  My whole trouble is because I used the APW
on an NT box to intall the drivers.  It happily installed the NT and W9x
drivers.  Then the W2K and XP machines happily tried to use the NT drivers
but it did not work!  I was adding drivers like crazy and finally corrupted
my drivers and had to start over.

Another word to the wise -- in XP (and possibly W2K) they think of THEMSELVES
as printer servers too.  When you are adding drivers, make sure you are
adding them through Network Neighborhood / Samba server / Printers share /
Printer.  Otherwise it will just add them to the XP box and not to the Samba
server, and this will cause you endless grief.  Same thing if you need to
delete drivers -- you can delete them from the client till you are blue in
the face, but they won't delete from the server.  Click on a printer, click
File / Server Properties, then click the Drivers tab.  Here you can add and
delete drivers easily.

I hope this helps.

Misty