[Samba] suddent random problem with Windows boxes

Matt Singerman matt at epid.wpic.pitt.edu
Thu Aug 26 14:35:40 GMT 2004

Hello all,

I am not a Samba expert by any means, so please bear with me if I make a fool
of myself.

We run a small network in this office.  There is a Windows domain running off
of a Debian Linux server, running Linux 2.4.25.  There are mostly Windows
2000 and Windows XP machines, but there are still a few users clinging on to
Windows 98 (this is because they run specialized testing software that does
not work in 2000 or XP).  Starting a few days ago, anyone who tries to log
onto a Win98 machine gets the following error:

"The domain password you supplued is not correct, or access to your logon
server has been denied."

In addition, a few Windows 2000 users have suddenly lost network access, being
told that they do not have permission to access their roaming profiles.

I have made absolutely no changes to the server or Samba in a few weeks, so I
don't know what could be causing this.  I was running Samba 2.2.9pre1, so I
upgraded to 3.0.6 to no avail.

Here is a copy of my smb.conf file (which was last modified on July 30th):

[global]
security = user
workgroup = EPPIE
netbios aliases = FUDD
unicode = yes
unix charset = 850
display charset = 850
allow hosts = 136.142.198.
#wins server =
encrypt passwords = yes
netbios name = SPEEDY
domain logons =yes
logon script = scripts\logon.bat
logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c Machine -d /dev/null -s /bi
n/false %m$
guest account = nobody
share modes=no
os level=65
time server = yes
#unix password sync = true
#passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
#passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *successful*
include = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.fudd
lm announce = no

[profiles]
path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon/profiles
guest ok = no
create mask = 0774
directory mask = 0755
write list = %U
public = no
allow hosts = 136.142.198.

[homes]
guest ok = no
read only = no
create mask = 0700
directory mask = 0700
oplocks = false
locking = no

[mhpcd]
comment = MHPCD Documents
browseable = yes
allow hosts = 136.142.198.
public = no
guest only = no
write list = fail tml nadine sonyaf nancys2 nday marie gale cindy carriet kare
ns eva willford
path = /usr/local/export
hide dot files = yes
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = no
create mask = 774
directory mask = 775
force group = office

[documents]
comment = Full Online Documentation
browseable = yes
allow hosts = 136.142.198.
public = yes
guest only = no
read only = yes
write list = matt sonyaf
path = /usr/local/documents
hide dot files = yes
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = no
create mask = 774
directory mask = 775
force group = office

[netlogon]
path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
writeable = no
guest ok = no

I am allow hosts = 136.142.198.
public = yes
guest only = no
read only = yes
write list = matt sonyaf
path = /usr/local/documents
hide dot files = yes
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = no
create mask = 774
directory mask = 775
force group = office

[netlogon]
path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
writeable = no
guest ok = no

Oh, and of possible interest: there is nothing in log.smbd about the Windows
98 logon attempts.  I mean NOTHING.  Not even a failure notice.

Any and all help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Regards,

Matt Singerman
matt at epid.wpic.pitt.edu