[Samba] Running Samba in chroot as non-root user

Randall Hennig rhennig at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 16:15:29 GMT 2004

Hi, I'm trying to run Samba using chroot as a non-root user.
Right now, I'm trying to do it using the 'root directory' option in
the smb.conf file and I have copied all the libraries, configuration,
and system files I can think of.
I used ldd and strace to figure out what I could, and I have gotten to
the point where the samba server shows up when I try to find it in My
Network Neighborhood from Windows XP and then I can get a login
prompt, but I can't get past that.

My problem right now is, when I get the Windows login prompt, I can't
actually login even though I type in the correct password.

Has anybody setup Samba to run like this before?
How would I go about doing this and does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?