[Samba] Windows Backup to samba3 share = problem

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at kaman.com
Tue Aug 17 16:36:39 GMT 2004

George,

  ntbackup runs under the SYSTEM account if it's running as
a scheduled job.  You'll have to tweak the rights on the
samba share to include the SYSTEM account.

You can try creating a user & group named system on the
Samba box, and add system to the group corresponding to
the Samba share and its' *nix permissions.  That might
allow ntbackup to read/write to the Samba share.

Has anyone already set this up using SYSTEM?  Would they post the
procedure for George & the rest of us?

Another note:  when you set up ntbackup for jobs that
run on a schedule, use the UNC path to the share, NOT
a mapped drive.  If the user logs off, all drive mappings
are disconnected.  UNC paths will still be usable,
if the rights are in place.

Jim