[Samba] File Sharing(Write Accress) Across WANS
Ow Mun Heng
ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Fri Apr 16 08:37:05 GMT 2004
I would like to implement File Sharing in a WAN environment, however
some issues which I can't figure out.
1. Users are distributed across 3 countries.
(Server is physically located in CountryA)
2. Logins are different across all 3 countries.
a) They are logging into different domains.
eg: DomA; DomB; DomC etc
3. My File Share is running Samba 2.2.7
4. Local UserA(CountryA/DomA) accessing the Samba Share
has Write/Read Access using a username/password
combo(same as their Local Windows domain user/pass)
which is entered into the local Linux system (both in
/etc/passwd and smbpasswd file)
5. When UserA goes to CountryB, they login as UserA/DomA
however, going to the share folder of the samba server,
they are not granted Write Access. Only Read. Why is that?
6. 2nd Item. I would also like to permit UserB/DomB(From CountryB)
to have read/write access to files in the server. I think
if Item 5 above can be solved, item 6 would be no problem.
Appreciate if there are some inputs in this. Otherwise, the Boss
will want to migrate the Linux server to a Windows based one.
Now, we certainly don't want that to happen right???
More information about the samba