[Samba] Connecting to PDC via XP Pro Issues

Burhan Khalid samba at meidomus.com
Fri Apr 9 16:18:37 GMT 2004

Greeting Everyone :

   I have searched, googled, and even read the list archives on this
topic, but I haven't found a solution yet to this problem. Here are my
system details :

   Samba Version 2.2.8a, running on Linux (Gentoo), configured as PDC
and WINS server.

   Windows XP Pro computer, fresh installation, registry patches applied.

   The problem : DNS SRV error when joining the domain.

   Upon reading the many suggestions on this list, I've tried changing
the workgroup name to WORKGROUP, restarting, then attempted to join the
domain, and have alo edited lmhosts and hosts on the Windows machine,
but still will not work.

   Currently, there is only one client and the Samba server on the
network. When the client is joined to the Workgroup, everything works
great. The Samba server shows up in network neighborhood, I can login
and see my default share, it just won't join the domain. Both computers
have static IP addresses. There is also a local FreeBSD domain server
running.

   Here is my smb.conf :

   [global]

     workgroup = kuwaitnet
     netbios name = sandbox
     server string = Sandbox Linux Server
     socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192

     os level = 255
     preferred master = yes
     local master = yes
     domain master = yes
     domain logon = yes

     security = user
     encrypt passwords = yes
     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
     log level = 5
     max log size = 50
     hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

     logon home = \\%L\%U\
     logon drive = H:
     logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
     logon script = netlogon.bat

     wins support = yes
     name resolve order = lmhosts hosts bcast

The samba log file doesn't show any errors, and comparing it to the
other pasted log files at the list archives, I don't see any need to
post it again here. If it is required, I will post it.

Thank you for any insights into this problem.