[Samba] Samba and Win viruses

Malcolm Baldridge google at paypc.com
Thu Apr 1 09:40:15 GMT 2004

> We have had our server blocked as it is probing port 25

Port 25 is the SMTP (mail delivery) port.  Maybe your Samba server is trying
to issue emails out for some reason.  Odd that this would be considered a
"probe" though.  Does the Samba server run any kind of SOCKS proxying
software, or even web-proxying software?

> My question: Is it actually possible for a Samba system to be infected
> with Win viruses such as MyDoom or Blaster?

I'll answer your question with another question: is it possible for a
UNIX-based mail host to "be infected" with MyDoom or Blaster emails?  In
both the Samba and the Mailhost case, you have three parties, one of whom
doesn't really "parse" data content, but to the other two parties [the
source and destination parties, really], the payload has a great deal more
"meaning".

Clear now? :)

Cheers,

=Rob=