[Samba] Windows XP Home Edition

Mark Cooke mpc at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 23 22:15:59 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 23:04, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Eric Treu wrote:
> > I understand that Microsoft, in their wisdom, has a share timeout after
> > 15 minutes of inactivity.
>
> Yes. Correct.
>
> > Can anybody help me.  I have come to the conclusion that the one XP
> > Professional box that I have does not have this problem.  I don't want
> > to upgrade, buy, or install XP Professional on all the boxes.
>
> Sorry. MS have you snookered.

Try finding a program that can use the share every 10 minutes to prevent
it going idle...

Eg, Write a cmd/bat file that copies a file over, sleeps for 10 minutes,
and repeats ?

A horrid cludge, but should stop the share going inactive, and work
around your problem.

Mark

--
Mark Cooke <mpc at star.sr.bham.ac.uk>