[Samba] Windows XP Home Edition

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Thu Sep 25 07:09:16 GMT 2003

Hi Jonathan Bernard,

you wrote:

> It is true that XP Home can not authenticate to a domain, but an
> upgrade to XP Pro will not automatically solve the disconnected drive
> problem.
>
> My main work station is XP Pro and authenticates to a Win2K AD PDC,
> and I will still loose touch with the my mapped drive (which is
> mapped to the shared AD resource).  Clicking on the share will
> re-connect it again, but that doesn't fix your problem
>
> Our company has looked for a fix for this for a while, and have yet
> to find anything that works.

for a connection to an samba server use a shorter keepalive time in
smb.conf. Default is

keepalive = 300

Depending on the application you have to use for instance

keepalive = 30

This will increase the load of the samba server with many connections!
See also the parameter

deadime

For a connection to a windows server you have to edit the registry of
the server:

Registry Settings
System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\
Parameters]
Value Name: Autodisconnect
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: 0 to 4,294,967,295 (0xffffffff) in minutes

der tom