[Samba] Windows XP Home Edition

matt matt at fire-flash.net
Wed Sep 24 11:06:56 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Cooke" <mpc at star.sr.bham.ac.uk>
To: "John H Terpstra" <jht at samba.org>
Cc: "Samba" <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 11:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Samba] Windows XP Home Edition

> On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 23:04, John H Terpstra wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Eric Treu wrote:
> > > I understand that Microsoft, in their wisdom, has a share timeout
after
> > > 15 minutes of inactivity.
> >
> > Yes. Correct.
> >
> > > Can anybody help me.  I have come to the conclusion that the one XP
> > > Professional box that I have does not have this problem.  I don't want
> > > to upgrade, buy, or install XP Professional on all the boxes.
> >
> > Sorry. MS have you snookered.
>
> Try finding a program that can use the share every 10 minutes to prevent
> it going idle...
>
> Eg, Write a cmd/bat file that copies a file over, sleeps for 10 minutes,
> and repeats ?

I currently have a batch file in every user's startup folder on the xp home
machine that does this:
(You can use * if you don't want to specify a pasword on command line -
server1 is the name of my samba server)

This seems to log them on to the server and allow them to use resources -
printer and home folder. I haven't noticed it timing out but that may just
be me not noticing. I think my account is invincible as its still set up to
autologon or something as a hangover from my experiments with X-teq.

But even a batch file to log you on every 10 minutes would do the job, no
need to copy a file *I think*.

matt

> A horrid cludge, but should stop the share going inactive, and work
> around your problem.
>
> Mark
>
> --
> Mark Cooke <mpc at star.sr.bham.ac.uk>