[Samba] Latest Samba Disto for Os390/Unix ?

Hall, Ken (IDS ECCS) ken_hall at ml.com
Mon Sep 22 13:50:30 GMT 2003

I was able to get gzip to compile under USS with fairly little difficulty.

OS/390 (zOS) doesn't host other operating systems.  IBM's OTHER OS, zVM, does that, and there's a native Linux for it.

Unfortunately, getting the Samba source onto USS (Unix System Services) is only the first part of the battle.  USS, while POSIX compliant, is unusual enough that most Open Source products won't build
there without SUBSTANTIAL fiddling.  I was able to get gzip, xterm, and a couple of other programs to build, but someone else had done the work on the autoconf bit before.  That old version of Samba
was fixed to build under USS, but to my knowledge nobody has ever tried to retrofit the mods to a later version.

IBM distributes a Samba "equivalent" with zOS 1.4 and above.  It should be part of the base.