[Samba] multiple permissioning for same user in username.map

Myles Hartley myles.hartley at db.com
Mon Sep 22 14:30:36 GMT 2003

Afternoon All....

I'm new to the list today, so be gentle with me ;-)

I have a problem where I host a samba box for the purposes of shunting
data about between different platforms, mostly Solaris (but with a little
HP-UX, AIX & Linux thrown in for good measure) to NT / 2K .

I also have a number of NT / AD service accounts that need to connect
through to different directories within my samba tree, and need to usermap
the very long ADS names through to a local account on the samba server,
typically an example would be;

[foo]
        path = /toplevel/subdir1
        valid users = localacc, some_service_account_from_ads_domain1,
some_service_account_from_ads_domain1
        guest ok = no
        writeable = yes
[otherfoo]
        path = /toplevel/subdir2
        valid users = localac2, some_service_account_from_ads_domain1,
some_service_account_from_ads_domain1
        guest ok = no
        writeable = yes

I have my usermap.txt like this;

localacc = some_service_account_from_ads_domain1,
some_service_account_from_ad_domain1
localac2 = some_service_account_from_ads_domain1,
some_service_account_from_ad_domain1

It seems that samba gets it's knickers in a twist with this as it is
presumably trying to work out which UID the user is on which share - which
is understandable.  Is there a way to specify a usermap.txt per share? the
only docs I can find list it as a global directive.  Being a bear of very
little brain I am having difficulty working around this as I have no
control over the NT / ADS domain accounts.

Regards

Myles

Myles Hartley
Unix & Wintel Infrastructure