[Samba] sample configurations for samba-3.0.0

Marc Schoechlin ms-samba at bart.LF.net
Mon Sep 15 15:04:50 GMT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 02:33:14PM +0000, John H Terpstra wrote:

> > I'm currently testing out samba-3.0.0 - but I need a lot of time
> > to find out, how some features have to be configured.
> >
> > To find out if your current samba-installation doesn't work because
> > of a configuration, a missing file or a bug in samba consumes sometimes
> > a lot of time.
>
> Yes.
>
> > I think it would be useful, if the samba-distribution would have
> > a certain directory for working configuration-files in the
> > examples directory.
>
> Yes.
>
> > In this directory there could be some subdirectories, i.e. called
> > "pdc-ldap", "pdc", "simple-server", ...
>
> Yes.
>
> > The file should contain typical setup-scenarios - i think that there are
> > only few basic-types for installaing a samba-server.
>
> Yes.
>
> > To find out this setup-types as a unexperienced samba-user
> > needs many hours. I think it's better to have a working setup
> > for doing experiments - than starting from scratch.
>
> Yes. And that is why I devoted a lot of effort to putting this in the
> chapter "Fast Start: Cure for Impatience" that will be in the book,
> "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" that will be published by
> Prentice Hall - should be available October 24th. About 720 pages.
>
> PS: 4 Months after the book is on the shelf the chapters that are not yet
> in CVS will be committed to CVS. This means that this chapter will not be
> in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf until 4 months after the book is
> released.

So - is this a OK ? :-))

I´m currently doing a lot of testing - maybe we can build some
sample-configurations, which will cover some very usual setups ?

So - what are widespread setups ?

Maybe:

* A simple Samba-PDC
  (smbpasswd-backend, encrypted passwords, a share with group-access,
   cups-printing, server-stored printer-drivers, logon-scripts,
   server-profiles)

* A Samba PDC/BDC Setup
  (ldap-backend, acl-support, encrypted passwords, a share with group-access,
   cups-printing, server-stored printer-drivers, logon-scripts,
   server-profiles)

* ADS-Member

* Single-Server

Some configurations are very hard to setup for many sysadmins
(i.e. the ldap-thing :-)) - maybe we can make a directory for each
config-example which contains:

* a sample config
* a description how to configure and setup non-samba things
  (i.e. openldap, compile and use a xfs-enabled-kernel)
* useful scripts
* example ldif.files

I think this is useful for testing (maybe we can put this
in the testcases-dir ?), and helps sysadmins to use the
blending-edge features of Samba.

I think that the utilization of many functions will increase -
if there is a way shown how to configure such big setups :-))

I would be glad to help you with testing testups, makeing
comments, writing, etc. :-)

Best regards

Marc Schoechlin

--

Gruss / Best regards  |  LF.net GmbH        |  fon +49 711 90074-413
Marc Schoechlin       |  Ruppmannstr. 27    |  fax +49 711 90074-33