[Samba] sample configurations for samba-3.0.0

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Sep 15 14:33:14 GMT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Marc Schoechlin wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm currently testing out samba-3.0.0 - but I need a lot of time
> to find out, how some features have to be configured.
>
> To find out if your current samba-installation doesn't work because
> of a configuration, a missing file or a bug in samba consumes sometimes
> a lot of time.

Yes.

> I think it would be useful, if the samba-distribution would have
> a certain directory for working configuration-files in the
> examples directory.

Yes.

> In this directory there could be some subdirectories, i.e. called
> "pdc-ldap", "pdc", "simple-server", ...

Yes.

> The file should contain typical setup-scenarios - i think that there are
> only few basic-types for installaing a samba-server.

Yes.

> To find out this setup-types as a unexperienced samba-user
> needs many hours. I think it's better to have a working setup
> for doing experiments - than starting from scratch.

Yes. And that is why I devoted a lot of effort to putting this in the
chapter "Fast Start: Cure for Impatience" that will be in the book,
"The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" that will be published by
Prentice Hall - should be available October 24th. About 720 pages.

PS: 4 Months after the book is on the shelf the chapters that are not yet
in CVS will be committed to CVS. This means that this chapter will not be
in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf until 4 months after the book is
released.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra