[Samba] Migrating from Solaris to Linux

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Sun Sep 14 17:09:48 GMT 2003

Hello,

I had Samba 2.2.8a running on Solaris 7 x86 without problems.  I
migrated the server over to RedHat 9 Linux with Samba 2.2.7a.  After
doing this I am running into a lot of problems.  The home directories
were in /export/home in Solaris, but /home in redhat.  So I edited my
smb.conf to reflect this change.  I also copied over
/etc/samba/smbpasswd from the Solaris server to the Linux one.  I copied
over al of the /export/home/$USER/profile to /home/$USER/profile as
well.  But I am running into problems with Windows 2000 and Windows XP
computers.  In Windows 2000, after a user logs in, They can not print in
applications (such as netscape for example, the print button is greyed
out).  In Windows XP when a user logs in, it says that windows can not
find the server profile and is using a local temporary profile, changed
will not be saved on logout, or something similar to that effect.  After
getting this error I have deleted $USER/profile directory, their
username directory under c:\documents and settings, etc but still get
the same error.  I was wondering why I am having these problems.  As a
work around, I used gpedit.msc to disable roaming profiles on the
windows XP PCs, but I would prefer having roaming profiles.  Nothing
looks out of the ordinary in /var/log/samba/smb.lod and $USER.log

If anyone could be of any assistance as to why I am getting these
errors, or has migrated from Solaris to Linux and can help, I would
appreciate it.

			Thanks,
			Adam