[Samba] Win box copying files to Linux via Samba - unwanted

Sean Kellogg skellogg at u.washington.edu
Sun Sep 7 20:51:11 GMT 2003

Steve -

It sounds like you have roaming profiles setup...  although it doesn't
quite look like they are setup in your smb.conf file.  When roaming
profiles are setup, the win clients will transmit all the data you
mentioned to the samba PDC so that if you were to login from some other
win client, everything would appear the same.  Its a neat trick, but if
you don't want it...  then its best to disable it, because it can cause
headaches.

The real question here is why is it happening.  In my smb.conf file, I
have to have the following to get roaming profiles up:

logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u

As well as a [profiles] share for the profiles to be saved.  The only
thing like that in your smb.conf file is your logon home directive.  I
might suggest dropping that.  While I don't have my Samba book here with
me, I'm pretty certain you don't need that if all you want is your home
directories to mount to the p: drive.  Keep the 'logon drive' directive,
and add the following share:

[homes]
  read only = no
  browsable = no
  guest ok = no
  map archive = yes

Then dump the [steve] and [oracle] shares...  as the [homes] share will
auto generate them.

Hope that works,
Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
1st Year - UW Law School
c: 206.498.8207    e: skellogg at u.washington.edu
w: http://students.washington.edu/skellogg/

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to treat everything as if it were a nail."
     -- Abraham Maslow