[Samba] Password expire message on XP clients

Reiner Buehl reiner at buehl.net
Sun Sep 7 11:08:22 GMT 2003

Hi,

I run Samba 2.2.7-5.8.0 on Redhat Linux 8.0 as a PDC for my Windows XP
clients. All users use domain logons. If a system is running for more than 7
days, I keep getting Windows messages telling me the password will expire in
14 days. I do not have any password aging enabled on the Linux system an if
I logout and login on the XP system, the message is gone. I checked all the
local XP policy settings but there is no expiry set there either. If I just
ignore the messages, I can still login after the 14 days and the messages
are gone for another 7 days. In the archives I found some messages stating
similar problems with W2K clients but no answer. Is there a way to get rid
of this anoyance? Is this a bug in samba or just a interoperability issue?

Best regards,
Reiner.