[Samba] Win box copying files to Linux via Samba - unwanted

Stephen Roach steve_roach at attglobal.net
Sun Sep 7 10:26:25 GMT 2003

Hi,

Well, I've just set up Samba + goodies to get my Red Hat (lisa) and WinME
(homer) boxes connected and it all seems to be going rather well...except for
one thing.

I'm not even sure if this is supposed to happen but here's the deal. First up,
my smb.conf file...

[global]
	domain logons = yes
	encrypt passwords = yes
	log file = /var/log/samba.log
	logon drive = p:
	logon home = \\lisa\%U
	netbios name = lisa
	os level = 99
	preferred master = yes
	security = user
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
	wins support = yes
	workgroup = MYHOME

[public]
       path = /usr/public
       guest ok = yes
       writeable = yes

[steve]
   comment = "Steve's home"
   path = /home/steve
   valid users = steve
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no

[oracle]
   comment = "Oracle's home"
   path = /home/oracle
   valid users = oracle
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no

I have two users set up on the ME box, steve & oracle.

The first time I log in on the ME box as either user, a whole load of stuff (I
believe is the technical term) is copied across the network to the linux home
directory of the appropriate user (e.g. Directories; Application Data, Desktop,
etc, containing what looks like user configuration data). Some of this is
updated on logout.

The question is, is this supposed to happen? I would prefer that Windows kept
its files to itself unless I explicitly copy them over but, if it really is
necessary, is it possible to direct this stuff to a sub-directory to keep it out
of the way?

If this is not a Samba question, can anyone point me at an appropriate froup.

Any scathing remarks on the content of the smb.conf file would also be
appreciated.

TIA

Steve

Steve Roach: