[Samba] Any way to do Linux User home directories via Samba

Mark Ferlatte ferlatte at cryptio.net
Thu Sep 4 22:43:44 GMT 2003

George Farris said on Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 03:21:09PM -0700:
> On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 14:21, Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> > Are your home directories on a Linux server?  If so, use NFS instead of
> > samba.
>
> NFS is so F**cked up but I would like to do this as well but I run into major
> issues with file locking and GNOME.  I think KDE has problems as well.  statd
> runs but there are weird problems anyway.  If anyone has this working really
> well I'd love to know exactly how they setup both server, client and iptables
> rules.

Hrm.  I'm using GNOME 1.4, and it appears to work okay.  As for setup:

Server: kernel 2.4.21, Kernel NFS server, exporting nfs v3 via TCP.

Client: kernel 2.4.21, using autofs to automount /home/user, with nfsv3 over
TCP.

Haven't had any problems with file locking.

As for iptables rules... you're in a world of hurt.  You have to tell rpc.statd
to bind to a specific port, and you would then still have to allow UDP to/from
any port to handle the kernel lockd, since you can't bind it to a specific
port, AFAIK.

I don't use NFS in a situation where iptables matters.