[Samba] Samba PDC - XP Logins - Replication of secrets file

McKeever, Chris tech-mail at prupref.com
Wed Oct 15 11:46:34 GMT 2003

I think I finally have gotten my XP machines to log into the samba
controlled domain.  Thank you all to have provided feedback and support.

I am wondering though if the solution was something that I just glossed
over, or if I just solved a portion of the problem.

As a recap, I am running samba 2.2.8a compiled with LDAP so I can have
replicated authentication.  I was able to join the XP machines to the domain
without a problem, but I continually got wrong username/password msessages
when I would try to login.

I finally copied the secrets.tdb file from the PDC machine over to one of
the local branch authentication servers.  I ran smbpasswd -S -a \\servername
against that to populate the domain SID, restarted Samba and I was good to
go.

Is this just something that I had missed?  I only found it by seeing two
obscure posts one about machines.sid and the other about changing a server
name and re-running smbpasswd.

Any feedback would be appreciated so I can put this to rest.

Thanks