[Samba] Failure to Change Machine Account Password

Mark lists at greplinux.dyndns.org
Sat Oct 4 01:33:26 GMT 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:07:55PM -0400, Sean Elble wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've searched on this on marc.theaimsgroup.com, and was unable to find

> anything conclusive. I am getting the following error message on the
> Windows 2000 workstations here (the only kind I have, hehe), and am
> wondering why.
>
> Changing machine account password for account DHCP-12$ failed with the

> following error: The stub received bad data.
>
> One, why is Windows 2000 trying to change the machine account
> password, and why is it failing? I have setup Samba so that users can
> change their passwords from Windows (and yes, it works, syncing
> passwords with both UNIX and the smbpasswd databases). If anyone has
> any ideas, I'd love to hear them. BTW, Samba 3.0 on Red Hat 7.3,
> Windows 2000 SP4 client.

Can you send in a debug level 10 log and ethereal capture trace of this
happening please ?

Jeremy.
--

Just my 2 cents worth...I do believe this is a Win2000 SP4 issue and may
not be specific to samba 3.0.

I seen this same error message a few weeks ago on Google when I was
researching another topic.
Here is an url (tinyurl) to it. http://tinyurl.com/pnyl

Regards,
Mark