[Samba] Clarification needed regarding documentation concerning NT4 PDC to Samba3 migration

M Saqib Ilyas msaqibilyas at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 14:04:55 GMT 2003

I followed the documentation concerning migration of NT4 PDC to Samba3. I set up the official release of Samba 3 on Red Hat Linux 7.3 and configured it as recommended in the documentation, joined the domain and then ran the net rpc vampire command. I did not do anything else. Now, this part of the documentation is unclear to me and I quote:

"It is possible to migrate all account settings from an MS Windows NT4 domain to Samba-3. Before attempting to migrate user and group accounts, it is STRONGLY advised to create in Samba-3 the groups that are present on the MS Windows NT4 domain AND to map them to suitable UNIX/Linux groups. By following this simple advice, all user and group attributes should migrate painlessly."

What is meant by creating groups in Samba 3? I tried searching the documentation. I could locate creating users, but couldnt locate creating groups in Samba. Could this mean Unix to NT group mapping using smbgroupedit?

Appreciate responses.

Regards

Saqib

Muhammad Saqib Ilyas
Assisant Professor
NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi