[Samba] RedHat 9 Samba and SWAT

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at mac.com
Thu Oct 30 11:23:43 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I've googled and discovered that others have had this problem, but no
one has given sufficient details about how they solved it, so I'm still
stuck.

As preface, I'm a high school teacher, and although I teach
programming, my sysadmin experience is minimal, so please be explicit
in your replies.

I've been following the instructions in the O'Reilly Samba book for
configuring, compiling, and installing Samba, but seem to hit a snag
when it comes time to get SWAT working.

Is it just me, or has swat moved from /usr/local/samba/bin/swat to
/usr/local/samba/sbin/swat in the 3.0 default install? I've tried
changing that in the xinetd.d/swat file, and I think it leads to the
second error below.

Anyway, I do what it says, and I get "Connection refused" errors when I
try to connect to "http://localhost:901". After playing with things for
a while, I managed to get it to say "Document contains no data". I look
in the Services panel, and it says swat needs xinetd to run. Meanwhile,
xinetd says it's running and has a PID.

I've seen this question several times, but there is no recipe for
resolving it anywhere that I can find. A link to a How-To would be
great. Failing that, if someone who knows what they're doing has time
to step through the RedHat 9.0/Samba 3.0 install, it's clear that the
published How-To (both in the O'Reilly book and in the Samba
documentation) don't quite work, either because paths have changed or
steps were left out. Fixing these would make my life easier and avert a
not so inFAQ.

Thanks,
Todd

P.S. If I'm doing something really stupid, please let me know.