[Samba] Newbie: Running a linux based samba fileserver on an NT4 domain

Dan Wiltshire djwiltsh at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 10:56:36 GMT 2003

Hi everyone

I have a Red Hat 9 based system that I am trying to use as a fileserver on my NT4 network. I am trying to use Samba to share the two 200GB HDs. So far I am able to see the server on the NT domain and I can see the drives. BUT, I am having a problem with the users....

I have set up one account manually and this then allows me access to the disks once I have entered the username and password. But trying to enter any other username or password doesn't work for obvious reasons.

What I want is to not have the username and password box pop up on my users PCs when they try to read/write to the shared disks. Also, I don't want to have to add each user manually.

I have been trying to set it up with domain security instead of user, and entering the Primary Domain Controller name as the password server but this doesn't seem to work.

I am new to Samba and linux so I would appreciate your advice!

Thanks

Daniel