[Samba] SAMBA 3 and ADS still doesn't work

Sverre Johan Tøvik sjt at drmstu.hibu.no
Sun Oct 26 23:14:47 GMT 2003

Ron Gage <ron at rongage.org> wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas on what I am doing wrong here?  Can you help?

Did you try "net ads user" or "wbinfo -u"? Both should list your domain
users.

I've found that the winbind nsswitch plugin needs to be installed to get
authentication to work. Someone will probably tell me that's wrong, but
as I needed winbind authentication for other services as well, I decided
to go with that solution. :-)  Anyway, in a strange and unforeseen
series of events, I actually documented my last samba install. If you
want to give it a shot, here's the relevant parts:

* cd to samba source dir
* # make nsswitch
* # cd nsswitch
* # sudo cp libnss_winbind.so /lib/
* # sudo ln -s /lib/libnss_winbind.so /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2
* edit /etc/nsswitch.conf, add "winbind" for passwd og group
        example:
                passwd:         compat winbind
                group:          compat winbind
                shadow:         compat

After doing this, you should be able to use "getent passwd" to get a
combined list of both local and domain users.

HTH.

        Sverre