[Samba] w2ksrv, and a samba based netlogon?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Nov 25 02:55:33 GMT 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Allen Bolderoff wrote:

> Is it possible to have a windows 2000 server in AD mode, with a samba server
> as a domain member, and have the roaming profiles and netlogon stuff all
> happen on the samba server?
>
> So:
>

> W2ksrv as ADC.
>
> Samba box is joined to AD on the w2ksrv box.
>
> We then add a user to the w2ksrv box, and set up the profile to load from
> \\sambaserver\homes\profile\ and to run the logon script from
> \\sambaserver\netlogon\username.bat
>
> We have it pulling the profile ok, and the ntlogon.py script is creating the
> username.bat batch file, however the XP system is just not executing the
> script.
>
> Any ideas why? How can I fix it to do this?

Yes. In the user's account on the Win2KX AD Server you will have to set
the full UNC path of the logon script and the user's desktop profile.

> Would I be better off running the username.bat file from the w2ksrv box?

Any way you like it!

> If so, what method do I have of creating a username.bat file automagically
> as ntlogon.py does it?

You can do this, but your first challenge is to get the XP Pro client to
access the logon script. You can run 'root preexec' script on access to
the netlogon share.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra