[Samba] w2ksrv, and a samba based netlogon?

Allen Bolderoff allen at gist.net.au
Tue Nov 25 00:33:32 GMT 2003

Is it possible to have a windows 2000 server in AD mode, with a samba server
as a domain member, and have the roaming profiles and netlogon stuff all
happen on the samba server?

So:

W2ksrv as ADC.

Samba box is joined to AD on the w2ksrv box.

We then add a user to the w2ksrv box, and set up the profile to load from
\\sambaserver\homes\profile\ and to run the logon script from
\\sambaserver\netlogon\username.bat

We have it pulling the profile ok, and the ntlogon.py script is creating the
username.bat batch file, however the XP system is just not executing the
script.

Any ideas why? How can I fix it to do this?

Would I be better off running the username.bat file from the w2ksrv box?

If so, what method do I have of creating a username.bat file automagically
as ntlogon.py does it?

TIA

Allen