[Samba] Which Linux best suits Samba3?

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Nov 24 21:31:15 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 16:07, Tim Jordan wrote:
> I just tried installing Samba 3 rpm from samba.org on a fedora1 box and
> it failed to install"
>
> missing libcom_err.so.3
>
> I take it Fedora is using a different set of libs.  Any advice on how to
> resolve this or do I roll back to redhat 8 or 9?
>
> I've been trying and trying to get samba 3 to work with Gentoo....no
> joy!

Personally I use Debian. Debian always just works for me. I use Stable
for my Critical servers, I use unstable backports for things like Samba
3.

Debian has many different systems platforms available as well (11 last I
checked, almost 12 soon).

For Machine I really need newer support for, I use the Sid(Unstable)
(unstable does NOT mean the stability of the machine, just that the
packaging and packages change quite radically sometimes).

I also, use Sid with Experimental pinned @ 1000 (actually this machine I
am on my default is experimental). Sure with experimental I grieve
sometimes, but there are thing worth enduring.

If you are going to compile, I'd use Debian Still as you can have the
packaging system make sure the dependencies are proper for your setup.

apt-get build-dep samba

will install all the needed libraries to build samba.

Then you can D/L the source for Samba3 from debian's source archive and
build the package and fix a few differences from Woody to Sid. It really
is a trivial process to do it.

Good luck.

greg at gregfolkert.net