[Samba] Which Linux best suits Samba3?

Shawn Wright swright at zuiko.sls.bc.ca
Tue Nov 25 01:19:37 GMT 2003

On 24 Nov 2003 at 16:31, Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> Personally I use Debian. Debian always just works for me. I use Stable
> for my Critical servers, I use unstable backports for things like Samba
> 3.
>
> Debian has many different systems platforms available as well (11 last I
> checked, almost 12 soon).
>
> For Machine I really need newer support for, I use the Sid(Unstable)
> (unstable does NOT mean the stability of the machine, just that the
> packaging and packages change quite radically sometimes).
>
> I also, use Sid with Experimental pinned @ 1000 (actually this machine I
> am on my default is experimental). Sure with experimental I grieve
> sometimes, but there are thing worth enduring.
>
> If you are going to compile, I'd use Debian Still as you can have the
> packaging system make sure the dependencies are proper for your setup.
>
> apt-get build-dep samba
>
> will install all the needed libraries to build samba.
>
> Then you can D/L the source for Samba3 from debian's source archive and
> build the package and fix a few differences from Woody to Sid. It really
> is a trivial process to do it.

I plan to look into Debian soon, even though my first attempt nuked a
win2k boot sector. I won't hold this against it though, since I know how
fragile win2K can be.

What would you suggest if I need ACL and quota support along with
Samba 3? I tried using the Debian XFS boot iso, but it suggested that I
can do a net install from it, which appears to be wrong. (it wanted CDs,
and I haven't pulled them down yet).

Currently we're running production boxes on various versions of RH 6/7/8
and Samba 2.2.8, most of them using XFS for ACL and quota support. I've
had much better luck getting these things going with XFS than with EXT3,
and it has proven to be rock solid for ~ 2 years now.

So is Debian on XFS with ACL/quota support something anyone has going
yet?

--
Shawn Wright
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright