[Samba] User Data / Profiles / Permission / Mappings Loss from Samba to Samba Migration

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Nov 17 19:08:33 GMT 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Fanying Jen wrote:

> We have completed a migration from one Samba server to another Samba.
> The versions and binaries are exactly the same. The only difference
> between the two configs is that the original Samba server used LDAP for
> authentication and the new Samba server uses the flat files for
> authentication (smbpasswd file).
>
> Here is the problem: On a Windows 2000 file server, we have folder
> shares.  Users can log on via Samba, but permissions to the shared
> folders are all screwed up.  When I review the permissions in the
> sharing tab on the 2000 server I noticed that none of the user names are
> listed, just some sort of serial number (e.g. S-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx).

That number is the SID (security identifier your user has/had). Every
domain / server has it's own SID. Did you updte the new server SID to that
of the old one?

On samba-2.2.x the tool to retrieve the domain SID is:
	smbpasswd -S 'Domain_Name'

To write it on samba-2.2.x:
	smbpasswd -W S-1-5-...

On samba-3.x to read the SID: