[Samba] User Data / Profiles / Permission / Mappings Loss from Samba to Samba Migration

Fanying Jen fanying at lillecorp.com
Tue Nov 18 00:05:46 GMT 2003

We checked the SID on both the old Samba and the new Samba (both of which
are version 2.2.8a) and they identical. We noticed that the SID for the
users no longer map properly and we had to put all of the users back in
manually. Once the users were in, the users were able to launch their
applications. The only difference between the two setup is the old Samba
uses LDAP authentication while the new Samba uses the /etc/samba/smbpasswd
file. Unix system accounts and information are identical on both systems.
It is that SID numbers of calculated differently on an LDAP back end and a
smbpasswd file back end?