Re: [Samba] Samba Translation Dok to German, first file, deutsche Übersetzung Der Samba Doku erste Datei

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Tue Nov 11 23:47:45 GMT 2003

11. November 2003 22:58 you wrote:

AB> I suspect you will still loose things.  I've not tried it (so I can't
AB> say for sure), but that's my concern.  But any text editor will do very
AB> nicely.  (And as the interest is in the translation, how it looks
AB> on-screen or in output shouldn't matter till the end, when you generate
AB> it up).

In the meantime it seems clear that using OpenOffice.org wonŽt make
anyone happy in this case. Personally I have no problems with editing
xml-stuff using vi. You are right at pointing out that output-issues
should not be overestimated when talking about translation-issues.

>> - Would you recommend to just add a samba-german-docs-tree to the
>> Samba-CVS and let the participating people access that subtree with
>> rw-rights? I think this would simplify the whole process, right now we
>> are discussing how and where to host that project.

AB> A CVS tree is a good idea, but hosting on samba.org is rather
AB> difficult.  If you can get a sourceforge (or similar) account, then you
AB> will probably find it easier.

Why is it difficult to host that samba-german-docs-tree on samba.org?

Can you recommend or do you (or the Samba Team in general) prefer some
project-portal?

I take your words as given but have to say that it has to be kept in
mind that the volunteers in this translation-project donŽt have the
experience in open-source-development and project-management the Samba
Team already has (and proves to have every day, as I think).

So I want to point to the fact that the difficulties resulting from
hosting the (still fictious) samba-german-docs-tree on samba.org may
be smaller than the difficulties generated by letting the few
volunteers start over this "new" project on another CVS.

If the Samba Team wants to keep non-english-docs separated from the
core-software-source-trees this seems logical to me from a
programmerŽs view.

Please share your thoughts with us. The Samba project is far from the
start right now and deserves that people think about further steps
instead of just acting.

AB> I don't speak a word of german (so I'm not quite sure why I'm in this
AB> discussion at all :-) but I think we can get a reasonable process going.

>> I am sure we will find a good solution to those starting problems.

AB> I think this is starting to move in the right direction.

It does.

Stefan G. Weichinger
mailto:monitor at oops.co.at