Re: [Samba] Samba Translation Dok to German, first file, deutsche Übersetzung Der Samba Doku erste Datei

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Nov 12 14:21:46 GMT 2003

I'm dropping in late here, so apologies if I recover any
ground already discussed,

Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

|> A CVS tree is a good idea, but hosting on samba.org
|> is rather difficult.  If you can get a sourceforge (or
|> similar) account, then you will probably find it easier.
|
| Why is it difficult to host that samba-german-docs-tree
| on samba.org? Can you recommend or do you (or the Samba
| Team in general) prefer some project-portal?

Account maintaince.  I've seen too many Samba volunteers
get started and then fade away.  I don't want set of a
cvs module and create accounts on Samba.org and then watch
the accounts sit there for 2 years unused.

No offense, i would just prefer to see the trans-doc
project mature and get some momentum first.  sourceforge.net
is a reasonable alternative.

| I take your words as given but have to say that it has
| to be kept in mind that the volunteers in this
| translation-project donŽt have the experience in
| open-source-development and project-management the Samba
| Team already has (and proves to have every day,
| as I think).
|
| So I want to point to the fact that the difficulties
| resulting from hosting the (still fictious)
| samba-german-docs-tree on samba.org may be smaller
| than the difficulties generated by letting the few
| volunteers start over this "new" project on another
| CVS.
|
| If the Samba Team wants to keep non-english-docs
| separated from the core-software-source-trees this seems
| logical to me from a programmerŽs view.
|
| Please share your thoughts with us. The Samba project
| is far from the start right now and deserves that
| people think about further steps instead of just acting.

I understand your concerns.  However, it's the PM
resources that are scarce.  The best model here is to
let the german-docs project have its own leader who
can interact with the core Samba Team over releases,
intergration, etc...  There is another good reason
for a separate project leader--most of us don't
speak German. :-)

And I'm not violently opposed to hosting it on Samba.org.
I just want to see some structure first before we move
forward.

ciao, jerry
- --
~ Hewlett-Packard            ------------------------- http://www.hp.com
~ SAMBA Team                 ---------------------- http://www.samba.org
~ GnuPG Key                  ---- http://www.plainjoe.org/gpg_public.asc
~ "If we're adding to the noise, turn off this song" --Switchfoot (2003)