[Samba] Samba Translation Dok to German, first file, deutsche Übersetzung Der Samba Doku erste Datei

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 11 21:58:57 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 00:59, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Hi, Andrew,
>
> 11. November 2003 11:39 you wrote:
>
> AB> Then the most productive method (IMNSHO) would be to check out the
> AB> samba-docs repository, and open an emacs window in side-by-side mode,
> AB> Then just move down the page, replacing text in one window and reading
> AB> the context in the other.
>
> AB> That is, it really should be easy not to modify the surrounding tags at
> AB> all, therefore ensuring that referencing (particularly chapter numbering
> AB> etc) remain perfectly intact.  There will probably be small formatting
> AB> changes but these can probably be left to the editors.
>
> I have no XML-experience but I think if we donŽt want to change tags
> and referencing, we donŽt have to know that much about it.
>
> So my questions:
>
> - If I edit the pages in OpenOffice (as is discussed right now because
> of its availability and interface, not everyone likes emacs, but that
> definitely is another topic), can I use the DocBook XML filters to
> generate usable XML?

I suspect you will still loose things.  I've not tried it (so I can't
say for sure), but that's my concern.  But any text editor will do very
nicely.  (And as the interest is in the translation, how it looks
on-screen or in output shouldn't matter till the end, when you generate
it up).

> - Would you recommend to just add a samba-german-docs-tree to the
> Samba-CVS and let the participating people access that subtree with
> rw-rights? I think this would simplify the whole process, right now we
> are discussing how and where to host that project.

A CVS tree is a good idea, but hosting on samba.org is rather
difficult.  If you can get a sourceforge (or similar) account, then you
will probably find it easier.

> I donŽt know if this is possible, but I think, it would keep things
> together and people like you or John H Terpstra could have an eye on
> it to keep us from making the mistakes you want us to avoid.

I don't speak a word of german (so I'm not quite sure why I'm in this
discussion at all :-) but I think we can get a reasonable process going.

> I am sure we will find a good solution to those starting problems.

I think this is starting to move in the right direction.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net