[Samba] smb.conf problems causes net groupmap to fail

Kent L. Nasveschuk kent at wareham.k12.ma.us
Sat Nov 8 21:45:08 GMT 2003

Hello,

I just thought I would post this since it may be helpful to others if
they run into the same issues I did.

I am using Samba 3.0 with openLDAP 2.1.23 as backend db on a Slackware 9
system. This is purely a test system that I need to test at home
reliably enough to put into production in a school system. I was getting
error messages when I went to run samba/bin/net commands. Couldn't
figure it out until now.

If you have a problem in your smb.conf when you try to run samba/bin/net
commands like groupmap list, you get error messages. My guess and the
developers can probably elaborate on this, net command reads the
smb.conf whether or not the daemons smbd or nmbd is running. Errors in
the config file will cause the net commands to fail. It took me a long
time to experiment and find this out but I thought I should pass it on.

--
Kent
nasve525 at regis.edu
kent at wareham.k12.ma.us
W 508 291-3510 X122
C 508 317-2755

"OpenOffice.org ... Stops Word macro viruses DEAD!"
"Postgresql.org ... Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster"
"Technology is legislation - C. Einfeldt on OO.o discuss list"