[Samba] Re: Win2k Client <-> Samba Server

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat May 31 23:29:31 GMT 2003

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Scott Drumm wrote:

> John H Terpstra wrote:

> >>Still a no-go (altho I'll be the first to admit I have a very
> >>rudimentary understanding of Windows domains).
> >

> > You seem to have ignored the last part of my reply:
> >
> > You should also note that migration of domain members between domains will
> > work only so long as BOTH domains are available on the network at the same
> > time. Even then it can be problematic. The workaround method is:
> >
> >         1. Migrate from old domain to a workgroup
> >         2. Then join new domain
> >
> > By which I intended to indicate to you that you would need to change the
> > name of the domain that the workstation belongs to, by first changing the
> > machine from being a domain member to a workgroup machine, then joinging
> > your home domain.
> >
> > Now the kicker is, that when you get back to the office you will have to
> > reverse this process so that you can use the network facilities on the
> > work network.
>
> Q1: Hhhhmmm...I did that once before and was unable to logon to the
> Win2k client since I didn't have a local machine account.  I had to have
> the IT guys at my office fix it and then re-add me to their domain.
> They were somewhat less than pleased ;)  Will this cause the same problem?

I did say there was a kicker! :)

Well, not if you have the right to change a machine account (ie: add
machines to the network.)

> Q2: After this process, will I need to manually switch the
> workgroup/domain name each time I go from office to home and vs. versa?

Yep.

> > Now there are work-arounds for this, but I do not want to deprive you of a
> > challenge that you would feel happier to have solved yourself. :)
>
> Oh, feel free to give me the easy answers...Especially if either of the
> answers above are "yes".  Besides, I abandoned any sense of pride a long
> time ago.  ;)

Ah, well Win2K and WinXP allow you to define a Profile. This is NOT a
desktop profile, but a hardware profile. This allows you to have a home
"profile" and a work "profile". So you will need to discover (check
Microsoft web site) how to invoke hardware profiles and then how to select
them at boot time.

I will not deprive you of all the JOY! :)

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org