[Samba] Re: Win2k Client <-> Samba Server

Scott Drumm sdrumm at midsouth.rr.com
Sat May 31 23:23:02 GMT 2003

John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 2003, Scott Drumm wrote:
>
>>John H Terpstra wrote:

>>>The link is incorrect. To add a machine account to /etc/passwd you need to
>>>escape the '$' as follows:
>>>
>>>useradd -g machines -c "windows 2000 workstation" -d /dev/null -s
>>>/bin/false -n doraemon\$
>>>
>>>Note the '\' before the '$'
>>
>>Still a no-go (altho I'll be the first to admit I have a very
>>rudimentary understanding of Windows domains).
>

> You seem to have ignored the last part of my reply:
>
> You should also note that migration of domain members between domains will
> work only so long as BOTH domains are available on the network at the same
> time. Even then it can be problematic. The workaround method is:
>
>         1. Migrate from old domain to a workgroup
>         2. Then join new domain
>
> By which I intended to indicate to you that you would need to change the
> name of the domain that the workstation belongs to, by first changing the
> machine from being a domain member to a workgroup machine, then joinging
> your home domain.
>
> Now the kicker is, that when you get back to the office you will have to
> reverse this process so that you can use the network facilities on the
> work network.

Q1: Hhhhmmm...I did that once before and was unable to logon to the
Win2k client since I didn't have a local machine account.  I had to have
the IT guys at my office fix it and then re-add me to their domain.
They were somewhat less than pleased ;)  Will this cause the same problem?

Q2: After this process, will I need to manually switch the
workgroup/domain name each time I go from office to home and vs. versa?

> Now there are work-arounds for this, but I do not want to deprive you of a
> challenge that you would feel happier to have solved yourself. :)

Oh, feel free to give me the easy answers...Especially if either of the
answers above are "yes".  Besides, I abandoned any sense of pride a long
time ago.  ;)