[Samba] Samba] printer driver option

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri May 23 23:53:01 GMT 2003

Steve Jen kjen at nms.fnc.fujitsu.com

> Fri May 23 15:22:11 GMT 2003
>

> hi Samba folks,
>
> I've recently upgraded from Samba 2.0.7 to 2.2.8a. New smb.conf was
> created using SWAT but only for the global parameters. Following these
> params are the individual printer entries (cut and paste from old
> smb.conf) all of which have "printer driver = <driver>" option included.
> I later found out the this option has been deprecated for later
> releases.
>
> So going forward, what can I replace this option with? Does it hurt
> anything if left alone?

Samba's printing support has changed so much since the 2.0.7 days that you
need to check out this document:

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/

Samba has changed from being a "Windows 95 workstation sharing a printer"
to a fully fledged "NT print server" and more.

You certainly wouldn't expect a Windows-95-only user (or admin) to run
an NT print server from the moment of the switch without some prior
study....

> We have several different make /model of
> printers but seems like it only affects the high-speed printers...prints
> an extra page of error after regular print job. Any input is
> appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Cheers,
Kurt