[Samba] Samba 2.2 or 3.0?

Jeffrey D. Means meaje at meanspc.com
Fri May 16 18:44:49 GMT 2003

Jason:

Number 1: first upgrade to a newer RedHat (rh) I personally like 8.0 and
am in the process of testing rh 9.  7.3 was a great stable system but
having the POSIX compliance in the kernel is a great thing, along with
ACL's which when utilizing samba is so nice.  It allows use of
user/group Access Control Lists similar to NTFS so that from a NT based
system you just add / delete users and groups from the ACL like you do
on NTFS.  Or you could run the SGI XFS file system by recompiling your
kernel to achieve the same results.  BTW they took out the ext3 ACL
support in rh 9 but rh 8.0 has ext3 ACL support unless you use red hat
network (rhn) to stay current on kernels.

Number 2: upgrade using rpm's whenever possible to stay within the rhn
upgrade path.  Rhn will make your life as an rh admin so much easier
when used properly i.e. testing for updates on a daily basis.  I am
guessing that when samba 3.0 goes release-ware there will be an
immediate rpm placed in the next major release of rh and possibly even
into a minor release as well.

---
Jeffrey D. Means
CIO for MeansPC