[Samba] Problems with Word 200 and Samba 2.2.6 - RESOLVED

Henry, Brad ERM BHenry at serm.gov.sk.ca
Tue May 13 20:09:32 GMT 2003

Found this issue in the list archives, with no resolution. I think I found
one.

We were having this exact problem, and we resolved it by removing
\*.doc\*.DOC\ from our smb.conf "veto oplocks" list, and adding
\*.tmp\*.TMP\. Leaving the *.tmp files out of the veto list was causing Word
2000 to say that a file was currently locked by 'another user', even when
the file was just created!

Unix permissions were not the problem in our case.

The problem was intermittent, in that it would only happen if Samba was
running for awhile (in use by ~400 clients), and when it was happening, it
would only occur within apparently random subdirectories of apparently
random shares.

It would happen to everyone who tried to save or create files in those
specific subdirectories. The problem would progressively get worse until we
rebooted the server at which point it would go away, but eventually start
again as the day progressed (in different subdirectories of different
shares).

The problem happened using both Windows 98 and 2000 clients, OS' fully
updated, using Word 97, and Word 2000, both patched to the lastest service
pack and not. The problem did not seem to occur, ever, using other Office
2000 software such as Excel and Powerpoint.

The server was running Samba 2.2.5 and Redhat 7.2.

I know that's not much of a diagnosis, but it worked.

Hope this helps someone,
Brad