[Samba] Mac OS X canonically decomposed UTF-16 filenames

Paul Lindner lindner at inuus.com
Sun May 11 02:46:44 GMT 2003

Hi.

I'd like to find some way for Samba to convert the filenames created
by Macintosh OS X into something windows can use.

According to their docs:

    http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/FileSystem/chapter_9_section_13.html

filenames are stored as

   canonically decomposed Unicode 2.1 in UTF-16 format (a sequence of
   16-bit codes)

Samba running on a mac seems to work okay.  It's when I write data to
an NFS volume where I get in trouble.  I'm running samba on a linux
that exports NFS shares for Mac systems.

So.. my question is:

  * Did Apple patch Samba?  Or is the libc doing something to convert
    the characters?

  * I'm trying to get Samba 3.0 to work.  Does anyone know which, if
    any iconv encoding can deal with the on-disk format of mac
    filenames?

An example filename is available at:

  http://www.inuus.com/macfilename.html

  Rinôçerôse

this should appear as:

  Rinôçerôse

(assuming the iso-8859-1 encoding of this email message works...)

Any and all help on this is appreciated...

--
Rin Lindner    lindner at inuus.com   ||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |   |

    mod_perl Developer's Cookbook   http://www.modperlcookbook.org/
         Human Rights Declaration   http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/