[Samba] Mac OS X canonically decomposed UTF-16 filenames

Philip Edelbrock phil at Ren.netroedge.com
Sun May 11 20:55:59 GMT 2003

Take a look at the Baltra project for MacOS-X info:

http://www.baltra.org

There is some general information there for using Unix, Win, MacOS9, and
MacOS-X all on the same network while keep things reasonably sane
(filenames, Mac resource forks, etc.).

From my experience, MacOS-X seems to work well when connecting to a Samba
3.0 server.  When UTF8 names are enabled in smb.conf, you should be able
to share the same filing system via NFS or AFP with a Baltra-patched
Netatalk.  Funky chars (like the trademark char) seem to work across all
platforms and protocols.

If I remember right, most of Apple patching to Samba was for Kerberos
authentication.  If curious, you can get their Samba and diff it against
the corresponding Samba release to see what they did.

Phil