[Samba] Oplock problem

Boogerman boogerman at interar.com.ar
Tue May 6 15:33:08 GMT 2003

Hello everybody! I'm (again) after that 30 second lockup some of us are
experiencing. Today, when I deleted the file pspbrwse.jbf, I experienced the
problem, and I immediately went to the logs. Here's what I got:

[2003/05/06 11:06:50, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(796)
  oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
  oplock_break failed for file htdocs/pictures/pspbrwse.jbf (dev = 901,
inode = 11009, file_id = 2654).
[2003/05/06 11:06:50, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(868)
  oplock_break: client failure in oplock break in file
htdocs/pictures/pspbrwse.jbf
[2003/05/06 11:06:51, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_lockingX(4626)
  reply_lockingX: Error : oplock break from client for fnum = 11670 and no
oplock granted on this file (htdocs/pictures/pspbrwse.jbf).

Ok, by the looks of it (anyone whith better knowledge of the SMB protocol
and Samba internals, please correct me if I'm wrong), I would say the client
requested an oplock on pspbrowse.jbf, then when it deleted it, the server
issued an oplock break request wich was unanswered by the client... so after
30 seconds of receiving no answer, the server timed out the operation. So,
there appears to be a bug in the client (not responding to the oplock break
request). I must mention that the client is a Windows XP SP1.

During those 30 seconds, the server didn't seem to respond to any request
made by the client (that's why the client locked up). Other clients worked
fine during those 30 seconds.

Well, I have described what I think is the issue as best as I could...
Apparently, It has nothing to do with WebDAV (I have already disabled it,
and it didn't fix anything).

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Gaston Dassieu Blanchet