[Samba] Disabling Roaming Profiles

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon May 5 19:11:14 GMT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Jason Williams wrote:

> Morning everyone.
>
> I have a question on how to disable Roaming Profiles for my Samba PDC.
> As it stands right now, I have decided not to implement Roaming Profiles on
> my network. The short answer to that is, implementing Roaming Profiles is
> not a major benefit to us at this time.

If you do not have users who switch between machines then that is a fair
assessment.

> However, I want my users to log into the domain and use their local
> profiles instead. However, I seem to be having a problem in implementing
> this correctly.

See change below.

> I read the Samba How-To Collection, and the section on how to disable
> roaming profiles. I edited my smb.conf file, but it still seems to be
> having a problem. Now, when I have the user log onto the domain, I receive
> a message box telling me that the users profile directory cannot be
> created, and that when they log on, they will only be using a temporary
> profile. Thus, anything they save on the desktop, will not be saved.

That is because you did NOT follow the explicit information in the chapter
on diabling profiles. You MUST explicitly state "logon path =" or else the
default will rule. The default setting may be seen with:

(Samba2)	testparm | grep "logon path"

(Samba3)	testparm -v | grep "logon path"

> Here is a snip of my smb.conf file:
>
> [global]
>
> # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
>     ;Basic inital test settings
>     netbios name = smbtest
>     workgroup = disneyland
>
>     ;PDC and Master browser settings
>     preferred master = yes
>     local master = yes
>     domain master = yes
>     os level = 65
>
>     ;security and logging settings
>     security = user
>     encrypt passwords = yes
>     domain logons = yes
>     ;log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>     ;log level = 2
>     ;max log size = 50
>     ;hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
>
>     ;logon paths
>     ;logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u\%m

; The following entry will ensure that only a local profile will be used
; on ALL MS Windows NT/2Kx clients.

      logon path =

>     logon script = logon.bat
>
>     logon drive = H:
>
> [netlogon]
>     path = /home/netlogon
>     writable = no
>     browsable = no
>
> [profiles]
>     path = /home/samba/profiles
>     browsable = no
>     writable = yes
>     create mask = 0600
>     directory mask = 0700
>
> [homes]
>     read only = yes
>     browsable = no
>     guest ok = no
>     map archive = yes
>
> I tried to disable logon path (We are using all Win2k machines). But, I am
> still having some problems.

No, you did not. You in effect told samba to use the default settings.

> Any idea on what the problem could be?

I hope this helps.

- John T.
--