[Samba] Disabling Roaming Profiles

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Mon May 5 18:07:24 GMT 2003

Morning everyone.

I have a question on how to disable Roaming Profiles for my Samba PDC.
As it stands right now, I have decided not to implement Roaming Profiles on
my network. The short answer to that is, implementing Roaming Profiles is
not a major benefit to us at this time.

However, I want my users to log into the domain and use their local
profiles instead. However, I seem to be having a problem in implementing
this correctly.

I read the Samba How-To Collection, and the section on how to disable
roaming profiles. I edited my smb.conf file, but it still seems to be
having a problem. Now, when I have the user log onto the domain, I receive
a message box telling me that the users profile directory cannot be
created, and that when they log on, they will only be using a temporary
profile. Thus, anything they save on the desktop, will not be saved.

Here is a snip of my smb.conf file:

[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
    ;Basic inital test settings
    netbios name = smbtest
    workgroup = disneyland

    ;PDC and Master browser settings
    preferred master = yes
    local master = yes
    domain master = yes
    os level = 65

    ;security and logging settings
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    domain logons = yes
    ;log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    ;log level = 2
    ;max log size = 50
    ;hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

    ;logon paths
    ;logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u\%m
    logon script = logon.bat

    logon drive = H:

[netlogon]
    path = /home/netlogon
    writable = no
    browsable = no

[profiles]
    path = /home/samba/profiles
    browsable = no
    writable = yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

[homes]
    read only = yes
    browsable = no
    guest ok = no
    map archive = yes

I tried to disable logon path (We are using all Win2k machines). But, I am
still having some problems.

Any idea on what the problem could be?

Thank you,

Best.